Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Few of my Favorite Things...


Confession.  I sort of dread decorating for Christmas.  The task seems so overwhelming... dragging huge rubbermaid bins down from the attic and boxed artificial trees, putting half the house in storage to make room for everything...  But then the magic of the season always kicks in and it's fun to open each box with anticipation and remember all of these special treasures we have that we only get to enjoy for one month each year.  It's also fun to add a few new things each year!

These are a few of my favorite things.

Our Advent calendar, which I cringe every time James gets near for fear that he might break something.  He is always opening and slamming the little doors!


My Willow Nativity scene, which Paul bought for me our first Christmas together and we have gradually added pieces over the past few years.


My Giving Thanks glass cylinders that I bought from Day Spring and actually keep out all year with various different vase fillers for different seasons.


My dining room tree that I decorate with red and gold ornaments.


Some of my favorite ornaments on that tree...



Our Little People Nativity set, which we got out for the first time this year and I'm pretty sure I was more excited about it than James!


Some other special ornaments.





James got his own little tree in his room with his favorite things on it!


I am actually still decorating, which I'm sure will continue right up until Christmas day!   While it feels daunting at first, these lovely things fill our home with warmth, love and special memories during the whole Advent.  

One of my favorite things to do has always been and continues to be spending quiet time sitting by the glow of the tree with the lights dimmed either reading or just enjoying its beauty.  

This year has been especially quiet and peace filled, more simplified and focused on the true meaning.  I am praising God for this Christmas season and all His blessings within it.







No comments:

Post a Comment