Thursday, June 6, 2013

Happy Birthday Curious Ethan

We celebrated Ethan's first birthday with a family party over Memorial Day weekend.  I wanted to do a Curious George theme because he is such a curious little guy and I found all these darling ideas on Pinterest.  What did we ever do before the internet?  It was a lot of fun getting everything together and of course I wanted to preserve it in pictures.

I wanted one area to display his year in pictures and his banner and another area for his cake and desserts and the rag tie garland I made.


I bought this Curious George birthday book and had everyone write a little message in it as a keepsake for Ethan when he gets older.


I LOVE his little hat!  I had it made for him from a woman I found on Etsy.  So cute!  He looked adorable in it!


Year in pictures:  I did this for James' first birthday as well.  It's so much fun to see the visual progression of how they have changed each month of their first year!


We had burgers and fries and fruit skewers to eat.  It was a bit on the chilly side the day of his party so I had to set up seating in the dining room.


Get it?  It's supposed to be the man in the yellow hat... no one else got it either.


This was the dessert table.  I made cupcakes, sugar cookies and chocolate covered frozen bananas and his smash cake.  


I cut out the cookies in his initials and number 1's


The cupcake toppers were from a package I bought on Etsy


I filled mason jars with lemonade and used these fun straws!  Note for the future... make sure to figure out some sort of label system for names.  After one sip no one knew who's were whose.  Oops!


This was the rag tie garland that I made.  Super cute and super easy!  My mom gave me all her fabric scraps and I just cut them in strips and tied them to jute.  Love it!


This was his smash cake, which I also loved!  I'm no Martha Stewart, but I was pleased with the way it turned out.  I found the cute Curious George monkey on Amazon and it came with candles and I made the little garland for the top of his cake.  It was chocolate with white icing.


Here is a picture of the chocolate covered frozen bananas.  They also had a layer of cookie dough between the chocolate and the bananas.  It was a little too much.  They looked really good on the recipe and in reality they were just too rich.


I did red and yellow candies for added decoration


I was sad to watch him destroy the cake after making it look so cute, but what are you going to do?  That was kind of the point!


He was a little confused by the whole process





Naturally he loved eating the cake though!




So did this kid...


We kept catching him sneaking licks of icing off the tops of cupcakes.  



It was such a fun party and worth every bit of time I put into the preparations!

Happy Birthday Curious Ethan!

















No comments:

Post a Comment