Friday, April 18, 2014

Easter Eggs

I have never understood why we dye eggs for Easter, so I googled it.  There are all kinds of thoughts and ideas as well as quite a bit of history behind the tradition.  Generally speaking they are a symbol of renewal and rebirth, which we celebrate with the coming of spring and Easter.  They can also be seen as a symbol of the resurrection.  They have ties to both pagan and Christian tradition.

I think they are quite pretty and I have always enjoyed decorating them.  Last year I attempted to do them with James and he had little interest beyond taking the paper wrappers that came with the decorating kit and throwing them over the second floor balcony.  This year was definitely more fun, though a little harrowing with him handling the eggs and trying to paint them.  It was just a wee bit messy!  I bought a kit that had little rollers and paint, which I knew he would love because he loves to paint.

He did an awesome job and only lost interest about halfway through the second batch.



He was super excited to get started.  This is his "cheese" face.


He was very serious.  I was able to snap this picture before my hands were needed to keep the eggs steady.


He really did a pretty nice job.  I thought for sure they would all end up black from mixing all the colors.


I love it when he is really concentrating and he sticks his tongue out.



These ones were much less messy and not nearly as much fun.  You put the egg in a bag and then squeeze the dye into the bag and mush it around.  They turned out really pretty, but he lost interest quickly and went outside to ride on the skid steer with daddy.



Finished product!  Beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment